St. Stephens Historical Park
A Legend. A Destination. a piece of paradise.
“The town of “new” St. Stephens, approximately three miles south of the original St. Stephens town site, was selected in 1848 as the seat of government. The Washington County Courthouse was built in 1853 and was used by the county for 59 years, until Chatom was made the county seat in 1907. The building was donated to the Historical Society by the Masonic Lodge and was been restored to serve as the St. Stephens Historical museum and visitors center. The museum is currently undergoing a much needed second renovation and preservation.
The old Washington County Courthouse located in St. Stephens, Alabama, is currently undergoing renovations. Many of the artifacts from the Old St. Stephens Museum are in the care of the University of South Alabama.